Skip to main content


Showing posts from July, 2011

Almost 1500 2.5" squares gone

I had a shoebox sized plastic box of 2.5" squares--not the size needed for Scrap-Therapy and I wasn't about to trim them all to 2", so I decided to use them as leaders and enders - you know - something to sew off and on to to save thread.  So once 2 squares (light and dark) were sewn together I started sewing the pairs together and so on.  At the last retreat I put the twenty 64 square blocks together, sashed and bordered and straight line quilted diagonally yesterday and today.  Here it is.
It's a little over 80" wide and 99" long and will be used to cover my husband's recliner so I can claim my 4th of July quilt back to repair and keep safe.  By the way- I only had about a stack of about 2" tall of 2.5" squares left.  Mostly yellows and blues. I'll figure something to do with them - I have a hard time throwing scraps away.

Next Sunday I get to see my step-daughter and son-in-law and of course, grandson Jack in Cambria. Looking forward t…

Another Great Cambria Retreat

Got back today from 4 wonderful days in Cambria, cool wonderful Cambria.  It was a weekend of getting things done and we all accomplished so much.  Here's the 'guests' and the stuff that they worked on.

The person who got the most done was Deolinda.  She got 3 charity quilt tops done, quilted a Halloween runner and a block runner, made 4 paper pieced tea cups, and finished making her Sushi Hoochie Mamma blocks.

Janice finished quite a bit as well.  She finished quilting a soccer quilt and got that bound, cut 250 1/2 square triangles for her Vintage Moments quilt, got her dresden plate blocks done for a quilt, machine quilted (with feathers) a fall colored quilt, and put the final border on a block of the month quilt she won.

Debbie didn't do so bad either.  She finished a Halloween quilt (pieced and quilted), finished nickel quilt top, and some cup holders .

Kathy got her Bella Bella top pretty much finished, she's going to do some embroidery in the center and th…

Laptop Case for My Sister is DONE!

My sister Beverly finally got a laptop and asked me to make her a laptop case like mine.  She picked and paid for the fabric--I got to sew it together.
At first I was using my Bernina 640 but I had to pull out the old workhorse 150 and even sewing thru all the layers of headliner foam and fabric and straps was hard on that poor baby.  The pattern was made by  I bought it several years ago at Road to California quilt show at the Superior Thread booth.  I think she has a new laptop case pattern.  She's great because I emailed her with some suggestions on how to prevent skipped stitches sewing thru all those layers and she wrote back right of way with needle size and thread types that I should try.  So Beverly, I'll get this in the mail to you as soon as possible.  I may keep it for next month's guild show and tell so it might be a few weeks.  :)  It was my pleasure to make this for my sister.  She and her son visited my folks a few weeks ago and she co…

Red Doors and Plates

Dresden Plates that is.

Still needs a name and a label.  But it's done!  I took Analie Belden's Thoroughly Modern Dresden class 2 or 3 months ago and finished the quilting yesterday and got the binding on this afternoon while waiting for the first coat of paint on my door to dry and listening to the Casey Anthony trial on HLN.  This finished quilt is one from my resolution list at right - so one more to check off!

Here's a picture of my door.  My in-laws got this door for us about 5 or 6 years ago and it's been unfinished this whole time.  I had been waiting for the house to get painted and my hubby and father-in-law say they are finished with it now.  So while my husband was out of town, I got busy and painted it.  I didn't want him here for 2 reasons.  1st - he really didn't want a red door.  2nd - he would just keep telling me how I'm doing it all wrong.
It's not a bright red - more of a brick red.  I like it.  Let's see how long it takes him to n…