Skip to main content

It's all about the shoes...

Our guild has an annual challenge and this year the challenge theme was 'Shoes".  We were also given a piece of chalk and we had to use that color in our quilt.  My chalk was yellow.  There were some size requirements as well.  This is what I came up with.

The machine embroidery design is from Designs by JuJu and it is her Fancy Footwear Filled pack.  The border fabric was something I found on a shop hop and was just the perfect piece for the shoes.  The challenge isn't due until August so I'm ahead of the game!

The guild also has an annual mystery.  I participated again this year.  This too isn't due until August. 

I machine quilted with an all over feather and a feather border.  I wasn't sure I'd like it when I was making the monthly components, but once it was done, I kind of like it.

And remember this quilt that I finished all those 9-patches and I ended up with a bunch of extra plus some extra fabrics?  Well with those extras I made this quilt.  It's a good lap size quilt.

And with the extra border fabric from making this quilt, I was able to make these two runners.
I actually have enough of this border fabric to make more. 
I will be donating these and the quilt to our guilds boutique in October.

And on a personal note, I will be making some big changes in the near future.  Not planned or by my choice.  For 31 years I have worked at the same place - a shopping center.  I was there before the mall was even finished being built.  So I've seen a lot of growth and changes there. And I was really hoping to retire in about 6 years from the mall.  However, during those 31 years the mall has been through 4 different owners/ management companies.  And through each change I've always been kept on as their bookkeeper.  However this latest ownership change (which escrow will close in July) the new company does all the bookkeeping in their corporate offices in New York.  It was quite the shock and at my age to be jobless was also a shock.  I've been applying to several places but have been disheartened by the responses.  Anyway, after many conversations with my husband, he finally said maybe it's time you follow your passion.  See if you can make some money with your quilting - whether I quilt for others, sell on Etsy or whatever.  With a bit of unemployment and my retirement that I can start drawing on next year, we should be okay.  We still have some things to figure out and I will still be looking for a job - if the right one comes along.  And I'm really at peace with this change now too.  Especially after reading about the company that is buying the mall.  They have less than a stellar reputation and from what we've read, they treat their employees horribly.  So maybe I dodged a bullet there.

Thanks for looking.

Comments

  1. wow to all the quilts and wow to the job situation. You do amazing work. Here's hoping you can find your niche in the market!
    I can hardly wait to see the quilts in person.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love your quilts. Your friends will always be there for you during these changing times!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thanks for leaving a comment. I love to get them.