Skip to main content

Two Quilt Finishes

Can you believe it?  I haven't quilted a lot lately.  I haven't finished a lot lately.  I'll discuss why in a second. 

My younger sister Beverly asked me to make a quilt for a friends' daughter graduation gift.  I gave her some pattern suggestions and she chose a free pattern (Supernova)  The colors she wanted were beach colors.  So I pulled solids from my scrap and asked what color background.  She didn't want white and we decided on a sand color.  Then I purchased more solids and the sand and she didn't like the sand so we decided on a yellowish cream (not pictured)


 These are the beach colors she gave Beverly for me to use as inspiration.

So this is the completed quilt.  However before she told me she didn't like the sand background I had already cut and marked them so I decided to make another quilt using the just the blues and green solids with the sand.  Figured I could sell at our guilds boutique.  


After seeing this, my sister decided she liked them both.  I made a label for her and she can choose which one she will give as a grad gift and she said the other one she will give as a gift to someone else.  Super easy quilt to make and quilt.  I just did straight line quilting.  

Now on to life news.  As you know from my previous posts, last July my dad fell and broke his femur bone.  He survived all that surgery and rehab stuff and was home and doing pretty good.  We had 24 hour care for him and was doing okay.  Then a few months ago, his hip replacement popped out of its socket and he had to be hospitalized for a day again.  After that, he never was the same again.  I think he was afraid it would pop out again or that he would fall and stopped exercising and pretty much gave up.  They also think he had had several minor TIA's as his memory got worse too and lately he had been getting pretty ugly and mean and very agitated at night.  He would try to get out of bed and fall out or crawl around and end up tearing all the bedding off the bed, taking his briefs off and making a mess.  Almost daily texts from the in-home ladies about his behaviour.  They only knew the sweet guy so it was a shock to them. 

About 2 weeks ago, he had a major TIA and lost all ability to speak and swallow.  Hospice had already been contracted about a week or so before all this.  But at this point they put him on morphine and some anti-anxiety meds for comfort care.  Five days later, my father died holding my older sisters hand.  She flew in a few days before after we facetimed with the in-home care lady and saw how bad my dad was.  My little sister and I were coming back on Thursday.  We had both just been there 2 weeks before and I was also there the weekend before he died.  So we all got to say goodbye.  My brother was on vacation but he called and told my dad he loved him and said he wished he could go fishing with him one more time.  We know my dad heard him because a tear came out of his eye.  

He will be missed.  His services will be held on August 1st.  We will put my mom and his ashes together and find a beautiful place to spread their ashes.  We are glad they are finally together again.  My dad missed my mom every day.  It was sweet to see.  

I've been keeping myself busy with stitching and some sewing.  I have to make 4 pillows for a consignment job.  I got one pillow top done today.  But really have just been sitting up front in the evening with my husband and we've been talking about stuff - life, death and work.  His dad is 90 so this is hitting him hard  Him mom passed away over a year ago.

My health is still a little off.  I am currently off the diabetes meds to see if that is why I've been bruising so easily and also my kidney numbers were abnormal.  (A side effect of Metformin.)  My corodid artery scan also showed some build up so am on new meds to stop that.  I'm continuing to exercise and diet.  I need to lose another 25 lbs. It's getting harder to lose.  But I know I can do it. 

Anyhow, thanks for looking. 


Comments

  1. Your quilts are beautiful. I'm sorry about your Dad. Losing parents can be so difficult.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Both versions of the quilt are stunning.
    It was nice that all of you had time with your dad in the weeks leading up to his passing. Because he was at home you were able to be with him.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your quilts are lovely. I am so sad to learn of your Dad's passing, sending heartfelt condolences your way. Each and every day is a blessing.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thanks for leaving a comment. I love to get them.