Skip to main content

Antique Quilt finish

Top hand pieced by Lula Gurtrude Habaugh Smith.  This was made from clothes that were from Ida Smith Andersen who is my sister's mother-in-law.

My sisters mother-in-law had this quilt top in a bag in her sewing room and Beverly found it when they were helping her clean out her room when they moved to an assisted living facility.  My sister asked if I would be willing to quilt it for her and I jumped on the chance to work on it.  It's a pretty good sized quilt, about 74 x 100.   I rounded the borders off instead of cutting them off.  I hope her mother-in-law will like what I did.


I also finished this Cross Stitch and framed it by using a purchased frame then used some bone fabric that I tea dyed since it was super white and clashed with the Aida fabric.  I will be giving this to my hubby for a Christmas gift.

I finished the top of my Material Girl challenge top and have the back all ready to pin.  Just need the desire to clear my floor off and get down on the ground to pin.  The challenge was to use curved piecing.  I love my top.  Just not sure how to quilt it yet.

I also pulled my fabric for the new Bonnie Hunter Mystery that starts on Black Friday.  I am not using her colors, although I love her colors, I just really want a good sized Thanksgiving/Fall quilt for my bed and I love her scrappy quilts for my bed quilts.  Here are my color choices and here is the link to her blog so you can see her colors.  



I started a new job this past Thursday.  Something totally different than what I have been doing the last 30 or more years.  I am now in prison.  Well I'm working at a prison.  In the education department.  I think this will be a great challenge and I look forward to learning a whole lot about prison life and learning in general.  Jeff is excited.  He has wanted me to work for the State for years but I always had a job I loved and didn't want to give that up.  I'm just glad that I will be having income coming in again.

Update on my dad - He's not been getting any stronger and still needs someone to walk with him whenever he gets up.  My sister-in-law will be calling us girls tomorrow to give us an update on what the home health worker has been telling her.  I know that when I call, he doesn't want to talk and refers to the HHW to answer all his questions.  And when he does talk he is super quiet and hard to hear.  We had already discussed that once we get through the holidays and he isn't any better we will consider putting him in an assisted living type of place.  But we want him to have one more holiday at his house. 

And now my father-in-law left two messages on our answering machine yesterday saying he was dizzy and not feeling right and asked if Jeff would come over.  Jeff never got the message and the second message was he was calling 911.  Jeff had already left the house so I called his cell and had him hunt his dad down.  He found him at the ER.  He has had in the past some type of amnesia spells, maybe a couple in the last 20 years, and Jeff remembers the last time he had this he had sprayed round up that day and I guess he also used some round up yesterday or the day before, so they are thinking the smell or something in it triggers his amnesia spells.  He also told me today when I went to check on him that he has been bitten several times by mosquitoes so he promised me that if was still feeling dizzy on Monday that he would go see his doctor and/or his heart doctor as there is some problems with this pest around here lately.

 As my dad always says, getting old is not for the weak.  That is true.  Look at this old guy.
He's about 15 years old.  His back legs give out on him a lot but he's a fighter too.  He does sleep a lot all day and he growls and barks at the new puppy Hurley when he wants to play.  Needle and Hurley play all day and it's fun to watch Needle finally has someone to play with.  Sometimes she wants him to stop and she gives me the look.  But Hurley is a puppy and wants to play all day.  It's good for her health.  I think she's lost a bit of weight which will make her vet happy.

Thanks for looking.



Comments

  1. Love your finishes. Sorry to hear about your Father-in-law is ill too. Glad you like your job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The quilt is stunning! and I love the words on the cross stitch.
    Sorry about family and dogs aging. Getting old is not fun.
    Frolic! is going to be a fun mystery. I am laughing that this year I'm using Bonnie's colors and you are not. We switched!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thanks for leaving a comment. I love to get them.