Skip to main content

A Machine Applique Finish


Piecing the Past Quilts- Stitchers had a block of the month a bit ago that I was gung ho to participate in.  I wanted to try the turn under with glue method and then small zig zag the pieces down.  After 5 blocks I just ran out of time so decided to piece with some blank squares and use some of the other blocks as machine quilting designs.  I machine quilted a feather of some type in each block and just scribbled around the other pieces.  It's all ready to hang in my room when I change to my blue/white theme.  


 And I've been getting back into cross stitching and here are some pieces I've finished stitching.  Haven't done the finish work on them yet.  Explain more later.

 I think I will start working on these Prairie Schooler ornaments from now on. 
These pumpkins were part of a set from Just Cross Stitch Magazine (an old one).
This was also from Just Cross Stitch Magazine.  It's a Hands On design using Priscilla Blains chalk drawings.

 Done for my summertime table centerpiece.  Also from a Just Cross Stitch magazine.


After I lost my job I spent 10 days at my dads house just because he's been slowing down and we (us kids) decided someone should be with him as much as possible.  I came home on a Monday for two weeks (was going to go the high desert to sew with some friends for some of that time) but on the Wednesday, 7/31, my dad fell and broke his femur bone right under the pin from his hip prosthesis.  It's dangerous for man of 84 years of age but he is one tough coot.  He broke his leg on Wednesday and because of his MDS (blood cancer) surgery couldn't be done until Sunday.  He was in such pain.  It brought me to tears to hear him scream when the nurses had to move him.  Once out of surgery he had to overcome some other hurdles.  After two weeks in the hospital, he should be released to a rehab tomorrow (8/15).  I am home for a day for a job interview but I drive right back to the hospital after I am done with the interview.  (It's a bit over 2 hour drive to my dads.)  My sisters both flew in so we can have someone with my dad 24 hours until the last few days when he was pretty settled down (he did not do well with narcotics--one of those that gets agitated - then he couldn't swallow so couldn't eat, got aspiration pneumonia, reacted to the last platelet transfusion and had heart issues.)  If it wasn't one thing it was another.  It was sweet to see him be so nice to the nurses.  He thanked them for everything, even among all his pain.  And the staff at the hospital he's at have been so kind to him. 

So because I've been sitting at the hospital a lot, I have been doing a lot of stitching.  The light isn't ideal, but I do what I can.  I did sew the binding down one night on the Dutch floral applique I showed above.  I have been trying to get some sewing done in the morning as my sisters have been taking the early morning and days shifts.  It has become my true therapy. 

So...until we figure out what to do with my dad, I will be hanging out up north unless I get a job here.  Then we have to really figure out who will take care and stay with my dad when/if he comes home. 

I do have pictures of his incision.. but I'll spare you that Frankenstein picture.  Let's just say there are a lot of staples on his leg/butt. 

Thanks for looking. 



Comments

  1. Thanks for the update on your dad. You're making lemonade out of the situation and doing your best. Hopefully he'll be home soon and you can implement a plan for his care. The cross stitch is soothing work and you can easily pick it up when your dad has down time.
    The Blue Delft quilt turned out great! Nice addition to your stack.
    Good luck on the job hunt. The right job is out there waiting for you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sending prayers and strength your way. Your blue quilt is awesome! Blessings. ;^)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thanks for leaving a comment. I love to get them.