Skip to main content

Texas Was Great

I took a long trip in early November to the great state of Texas.  The first part of my trip was to visit my sister who just moved to New Braunfels.  She took me all over that part of Texas.  We went to San Antonio, Austin, and all points in between.  I had great barbecue at the Salt Lick.

Also went to a Cracker Barrel (not that impressed this time) and she took me to a Buc-ee's gas station.  WOW!

We took a tour of the Alamo.  No pictures taken but learned a lot about Texas history there.

San Jose Mission

This is called the Rose Window at the mission.

Brenda and I in one of the cells or rooms.
We went to Austin to have dinner with my nephew but before we saw him we took a tour of the State Capital Building.  I highly recommend this tour.  Learned a whole lot more about Texas and the people from Texas.

She took me around New Braunfels.  We went to some outdoor market I think in a town called Wimberly.  We had a relaxing great visit.  She was sick with a cold for most the trip so I appreciate her getting up daily to schlep me around.

We then left for Sugar Land to visit my cousin Gina and her family.  My uncle Tony just happened to be visiting her from Washington so we got to see him too.  It was also my birthday and her sweet daughter Emmalyn planned a dinner for us.  This is what I saw when we drove up the restaurant.

This is me with my cousin Gina.  After dinner and when they brought the dessert, the lights went off and the sound system started playing Happy Birthday and disco lights started flashing.  So great.  Felt special.  I do have to say that if you are in the Sugar Land/Houston area, my cousin's daughter and her husband have a wonderful Air BNB to stay at.  airbnb link  It's called C&E's Sweet Retreat.

The next morning Brenda and I went to the movies and saw A Star is Born and then she dropped me off at the Convention center in Houston for the Houston Quilt Festival.  So good bye Brenda, hello Kathy M., Janice M. and Anna K. who all flew in that Wednesday.

On Thursday 3 of the 4 of us took a bus tour organized through the festival to see the state's oldest working cotton gin and then to the George Bush Library.  Enjoyed both.


George and I conversing!
Oh, the Library is on the campus of Texas A&M so I was able to see where my nephew Kurt went to college.



The show was fantastic.  Here are a few of the quilts that impressed me.  (There were a lot more - I just didn't take a lot of pictures.)




That background fabric that looks blue - that's thread!  she did an incredible job of machine quilting.


Not only did we see a lot of quilts, we did a lot of shopping.  I actually had to have my friends put some of my purchases in their luggage.  But remember I had to have clothes for 10 days and they only had clothes for 4 so they had some weight that I needed for my fabric.  I took pictures but I won't bore you with all my purchases.  But I didn't do as bad as I did last time I went 6 years ago.

We also met some friends.  We saw Beth Rhoads and my friend Vicki M. who just moved to Dallas and started quilting about a year or so ago came too.

Beth, me and Kathy M.
I haven't done much sewing since I've been home.  Just caught up on the Moda Blockheads.  Here are the last 3 weeks blocks.

I had to border the big block because they had the wrong cutting instructions (I didn't see any corrections until after I cut)   I don't have a lot of big pieces of fabrics to re-do the block.  

And I cut some half-square triangle pieces for the Jamestown Landing quilt.  

I am going to do Bonnie Hunter's mystery again this year and I've pulled all my fabrics.  Just waiting for Black Friday for the 1st clue.  

That's it.  Thank you for looking.  


Comments

  1. So glad you had a great time! Wow, the quilts are beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It was a great trip. Friends and quilting - what could be better!!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thanks for leaving a comment. I love to get them.